A Question for Hemshenis.

Who we are
Расскажите о себе и о других
Hamshetsik inch millet in?
Ձեր մասին պատմեցեք։

A Question for Hemshenis.

Postby mizzLebanese » 02 Aug 2007, 17:01

What role does Islam play in your lives? And why is it that many Christian Armenians reject Hemshen from being a "True Armenian" and how do you feel about it?

mizzLebanese

Re: A Question for Hemshenis.

Postby el-hemşini » 02 Aug 2007, 17:44

mizzLebanese wrote:What role does Islam play in your lives? And why is it that many Christian Armenians reject Hemshen from being a "True Armenian" and how do you feel about it?

Hristiyanlık sizin hayatınızda hangi rolü oynamaktaysa, İslam da Hemşinlilerin hayatın da o rolü oynamakta. :roll:
el-hemşini

Re: A Question for Hemshenis.

Postby mizzLebanese » 02 Aug 2007, 18:15

el-hemşini wrote:
mizzLebanese wrote:What role does Islam play in your lives? And why is it that many Christian Armenians reject Hemshen from being a "True Armenian" and how do you feel about it?

Hristiyanlık sizin hayatınızda hangi rolü oynamaktaysa, İslam da Hemşinlilerin hayatın da o rolü oynamakta. :roll:

I am sorry but I do not understand Turkish :P
mizzLebanese

Postby hagop » 02 Aug 2007, 19:27

mizzLebanese,

He said whatever role Christianity plays in your life, Islam does the same in the life of the Hemsinli.
hagop

Postby mizzLebanese » 02 Aug 2007, 20:15

hagop wrote:mizzLebanese,

He said whatever role Christianity plays in your life, Islam does the same in the life of the Hemsinli.

Thank you :P but I'm not Christian I am Muslim :P
mizzLebanese

Postby el-hemşini » 03 Aug 2007, 09:49

mizzLebanese wrote:
hagop wrote:mizzLebanese,

Thank you :P but I'm not Christian I am Muslim :P

Pardon, ben seni Ermeni zannetmiştim. :shock:
Ama madem ki Lübnanlısın bu soru biraz abes kaçmış; Arapların ekserisi Müslüman ama Hristiyan olanları da var.
Ermeniler de bin küsür yıldır Müslümanlarla iç içe yaşıyor, bazılarının Müslümanlığı kabul etmiş olması gayet normal.
el-hemşini

Postby hagop » 03 Aug 2007, 17:57

in translation:

I am sorry I thought you were Armenian. Now that I know you are Lebanese, the question was a bit irrelevant. Most of the Arabs are Muslim but some are Christian.

Armenians have been living in close proximity with Muslims for over 1000 years, so it is very normal that some became Muslims.
hagop

Postby mizzLebanese » 03 Aug 2007, 18:05

hagop wrote:in translation:

I am sorry I thought you were Armenian. Now that I know you are Lebanese, the question was a bit irrelevant. Most of the Arabs are Muslim but some are Christian.

Armenians have been living in close proximity with Muslims for over 1000 years, so it is very normal that some became Muslims.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH hehe =)

I appreciate your translations alot! <3
mizzLebanese

Postby hagop » 04 Aug 2007, 16:35

You are welcome, mizzLebanese. Thank you for your interest.
hagop

Postby princemishkin » 08 Aug 2007, 19:58

I would like to answer your second question. The Armenians might not consider us as "real" Armenians, but many Turkish Hemshinians do not consider themselves as Armenians aswell. They have reasons for that. First of all, Hemshin people are a compound of nations. A compound of Armenians, Laz, Turks, some Kurds and greeks and maybe even Italians. Vartivor fiest is the best way to understand us. We still celebrate that ancient Armenian fiest, but with Laz music and dances, and songs in Turkish. We are not christian and the western Hemshinians speak Turkish, since they have converted long time ago. Some of them are Turkish nationalists, most of them feel that they are a part of the Turkish nation, they feel Turkish but always prefer to say "I am Hemshinian." They don't love armenians but they love Hemshin and fellow Hemshinians.
The Hemshinians in Russia are alike according to a report of Asam, a strategic research center linked to the Turkish army. They live side by side with armenians but they still call themselves Hemshinian and they have reluctantly come together with them only after they got threats from Cossacks after they applied for autonomy.

Arkadaşlar, isteyen olursa yazdıklarımı Türkçe tekrar edebilirim.
princemishkin

Postby avetik » 08 Aug 2007, 22:24

princemishkin, as far as "I am Hemshinian" I'm not sure if that is a good term to explain what really is going on with our people on both sides. One has to be an expert (And I don't think that any of us here fully qualifies for that title :oops: ) .

I grew up in a village where 95% were Hamshetsi Hai (Armenians of Hamshen). Not talking about remaining 5% (Abkhaz, Georgian, Russian).

There were over 50 Armenian language schools in Abkhazia during Soviet time. Currently, I think, only 30 remain open due to population migration mostly for economic reason. If you would ask locals who are you, they would tell you "Armenians". Then if you dig deeper and ask what kind of Armenians are you, they would tell you "we are Armenians of Hamshen".
I don't care what your Asam report says, I give you information that I know firsthand and I hope we are not going to argue about this.

Now whether Homshetsik from Turkey are associating themselves with Armenian nation or not, I think you know that better than I do. Some absolutely refuse to be called Armenians. Others are sure they are of Armenian, but prefer to be associated with Turks instead, and that's perfectly fine and clear. After all, they are Turkish citizen and they must be loyal to the state where they live. So when you write
they feel Turkish but always prefer to say "I am Hemshinian."
, I'm sorry but I see a contradiction in that. If they feel 100% Turkish there should not be any "if" or "but" in that assurance, right?..

My last comment is that both parts of our ethnic group have issues with other ethnic groups around us, let's face it. Whether Russian Cossak or Abkhaz on one side of the Black Sea, or "Non-Hamshentsi Turks", Laz, Georgians, Kurds etc. on the other side... I know that things are not simple, and we would be dishonest to pretend we are doing wonderful.

But I hope we have better days ahead of us if both sides learn more about each other. That's why we have this board.

astegh badmutine hin
xarnevadza nerin hed,
kidista miy baberun azbarininq himi menq,
azbarininq menq... (c) Hamsheni Azbar
avetik

Postby princemishkin » 09 Aug 2007, 14:08

Well, you are right, there seems to be a contradiction there but I can explain. It has been a long time since we were "convinced" to convert. The western Hemshinian's mothertongue is Turkish. We don't speak Armenian. Learning your origins doesn't change your present identity. we feel more like Turkish than Armenian or Laz. But we know who we are. That's why we prefer to say we are Hemshinian.

You, ofcourse would know better about the Hemshinians in Russia. I just wrote what I read in a report. Plus, please, it's not "my" asam.

I am so glad to see the Hemshinians of the world coming together in this forum.
princemishkin

Postby el-hemşini » 09 Aug 2007, 14:21

princemishkin wrote:The Hemshinians in Russia are alike according to a report of Asam, a strategic research center linked to the Turkish army.

ŞU RAPORU NASIL OKURUZ :roll:
el-hemşini

Postby princemishkin » 09 Aug 2007, 15:56

google'da hemshin yazın
princemishkin

Postby el-hemşini » 09 Aug 2007, 16:07

el-hemşini

Next

Return to People · Народ · Mir millyate (Azge) · Մեր Ժողովուրդը · Halkimiz